The engine is the heart of a vehicle. Any problem affecting the engine should be repaired immediately to prevent further damage. However, there are some engine problems which are too expensive to be repaired. The engine should be replaced when the problem is beyond repair. It is imperative to understand some of the basic facts about the engine before you decide to purchase a new engine for your vehicle. There are different types of car engine most of which are dependent on the model of the vehicle. Some of the factors which affect the performance of the engine are fuel economy and speed.
Parts of a car engine
- A complete car engine consists of the cylinders, pistons, crankshaft, connecting rods, engine valves, spark plug, and the oil sump.
- Engine valves: the engine has two valves which work together. One of the valves admits air and fuel mixture into the engine while the other one is responsible for expelling the exhaust gasses from the engine.
- Piston: This is a piece of metal which is cylindrical in shape. The piston moves up and down within the cylinder.
- Piston Rings: the role if the piston ring is to seal off the region between the outer edge of the piston and the inner edge of the cylinder. This helps in preventing any leakage of air-fuel mixture. Besides, they play a crucial role in preventing oil from entering the sump.
- Connecting Rod: They connect the piston to the crankshaft. The ends of the connecting rods rotate thus allowing oil the proper movement of the pistons.
- Oil Sump: It is also referred to as the oil span. It provides the oil needed in the engine. It is located next to the crankshaft
- Crankshaft: The crankshaft moves in circular motion thus allowing the piston to move up and down wards. They are well designed to facilitate the functioning of the pistons.
- Spark plug: it is responsible for igniting the fuel-air mixture thus allowing combustion to take place. The timing of the spark is very crucial in the combustion process.
Features for adding extra power to the engine
You should understand the features which provide additional power to the engine particularly if you are interested in upgrading your vehicle by replacing its engine. This is very helpful to the new owners who might not have enough time for performing the upgrade on their own. These features include;
- Compression ratio: A balanced ratio of air and fuel should be maintained at all times.
- Inter-coolers: These are devices which are used for increasing the pressure of the air-fuel mixture thus facilitating the combustion process.
- The number of cylinders: An engine which has more cylinders is more powerful compare to the one with few cylinders.